Township History

The following is a brief history/timeline of the Township of Dalton; it is not a complete list.  Multiple sources, some differing from others, have been used to compile this list.  Any additional information, dates, and persons are welcome and can be emailed to deptreas@daltontownship.org.      Thank you.

Requesting Information On:

  • Dates and Names for all elected officials.
  • A. Clug, in ???, established the Township's first sawmill at Dalton Station (1).
  • Further details on the early settlers listed above.

INFORMATION ON THIS PAGE IS IN PROGRESS.

Compiled Information

Historical Timeline:

Gale Nichols, first white man, in section 3, made no land improvements.  He kept a tavern and traded with the Indians (1) (2).

A. B. Buel, in 1856, was the first permanent resident of the Twin Lake territory.  Buel platted the village of Twin Lake (1).

On April 18, 1859 the Town of Dalton was organized.  The Town included Fruitland, Whitehall, Blue Lake, Holton, Cedar Creek, and the current area of Dalton Township (2).

B.F. Dow was considered the first permanent settler; in 1862, developed a fruit farm in section 30 (1) (2).

William Maltby, in 1863, was the first settler of the southeast section of the Township (1).

W. A. Hanchett, in 1865, settled near B.R. Junction (1).

A.B. Buel arrived in 1865 and platted the Village of Twin Lake (1) (2).

A. Clug, in 1866, settled in the Township; his was the first saw mill and was located at Dalton Station (1) (2).

Charles Buzzell, in 1867, settled in Section 1 (1).

Fox Lake School was erected in 1867 as the first school.  It was later called the Knapp School.  Miss Etta Odion was the first teacher.

Campbell & Armstrong, in 1867, built a second sawmill in the Township, the first at Twin Lake.  Locally the sawmill was known as "Old Reliable" (1) (2).

Henry Lyman, in 1869, settled near Twin Lake (1).

H. Thompson, in 1869, settled (1).

E.R. Ford's steam saw mill was built Fall of 1881 on Twin Lake.  Both I.E. Latimer's and Ford's steam saw mills were the only mills remaining at Twin Lake in 1882 (2).

1882: Mr. Putnam was in charge of the railway station.  Telegraph operator and deputy postmaster at this time was also Mr. Putnam.  Warren Odion was the postmaster (2).

1882: Mr. N. R. Dreyer, Clerk of Holton Township at the time, was in charge of the school (2).

William Moore, James H. Gardner, William Steinburg, Alonzo Yager, Charles Nord, William F. Stone, James Gardner, James Armstrong, and Asahel Fowler, all early settlers to the Township (1) (2). <<more information on these persons requested>>

 Township Owned Properties:

?: Previous Township Hall located on the corner of Staple and Riley Thompson; now a privately owned residence.

?: Previous Fire Station #1 was located in Twin Lake.

?: Previous Fire Station #2 was located in the Village of Lakewood Club; the building is now used by the Village of Lakewood Club's Department of Public Works.

1952: The Twin Lake Cemetery Association Deeded the Twin Lake Rural Cemetery to Dalton Township.

1978: The current Township Hall was built, located at 1616 E. Riley Thompson Rd.

1995: The current Fire Station was built, located at 1650 E. Riley Thompson Rd.

Clerks, Supervisors, Treasurers

1859-1860
Clerk: Moses Hall
Supervisor: P. Dalton
Treasurer:

1861
Clerk: O. F. Pear
Supervisor: P. Dalton
Treasurer:

1862-1863
Clerk: A. Mears
Supervisor: S. C. Hall
Treasurer:

1864
Clerk: J. D. Sturtevant
Supervisor: S. C. Hall
Treasurer:

1865
Clerk: A. B. Speed
Supervisor: Hiram Stearns
Treasurer:

1866
Clerk: R. N. Poulson
Supervisor: H. S. Tyler
Treasurer:

1867
Clerk: G. W. Cowen
Supervisor: H. S. Tyler
Treasurer

1868
Clerk: G. W. Cowen
Supervisor: H. S. Tyler
Treasurer

1869
Clerk: G. W. Cowen
Supervisor: H. S. Tyler
Treasurer:

1870-1872
Clerk: G. W. Cowen
Supervisor: B. F. Dow
Treasurer:

1873
Clerk: G. W. Cowen
Supervisor: Ira D. Trumbull
Treasurer:

1874
Clerk: Geo. McMillan
Supervisor: B. F. Dow
Treasurer:

1875-1880
Clerk: C. L. Buzzell
Supervisor: Geo. McMillan
Treasurer:

1881
Clerk: Henry Lyman
Supervisor: C. L. Buzzell
Treasurer:

1940

1944

1948

1952

1956

1960

1964

1968
Clerk: Harvey Lund
Supervisor:
Treasurer:

1972
Clerk: Edith Simpson
Supervisor:
Treasurer:

1978
Clerk: Clarence Furman
Supervisor: Bud Hovey, resigned
Willaim Humphrey, appointed
Treasurer: Ruth A. Buell

1980
Clerk: Ronace Zielinski
Supervisor: Robert Anderson
Treasurer: Florence Bowman

1986
Clerk:
Supervisor: Merle Hittle
Treasurer: Bob Frain

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Nov. 2004 Election
Clerk: Mary Ellen Sherwood
Supervisor: Scott Hldaki
Treasurer: Rosemary Rinella

Nov. 2008 Election
Clerk: Mary Ellen Sherwood, resigned
Wendy Bloem, appointed
Supervisor: Chris Hall
Treasurer: Elizabeth Jenkins

Nov. 2012 Election
Clerk: Tracy L. DeMarse, resigned
Mary Ann Wallace, appointed
Supervisor: Chris Hall, resigned
Jerry McIntyre, appointed.
Treasurer: Elizabeth Jenkins

Nov. 2016 Election
Clerk: Mary Ann Wallace
Supervisor: Tony Barnes
Treasurer: Elizabeth Jenkins